Saturday 11 February 2012

Paul Kelly @ Union Chapel - 3 February 2012

 Only a few weeks after my first visit to Union Chapel I am delighted to be back again for another night of acoustic singer/songwriter bliss. This time it is Australian poet and musical icon Paul Kelly ('PK'). He is here in support of the international release of his 'A to Z Recordings' and his biography 'How to Make Gravy'. PK played a couple of shows  in late August last year at Bush Hall in Shepherd's Bush but I unfortunately wasn't able to attend so I was stoked when only weeks after those missed gigs he announced this one at Union Chapel.


I hadn't seen PK for many years - he doesn't tour consistently outside of Australia often - but it didn't make me forget that he without a doubt one of Australia's greatest ever songwriters. I was quickly won over by PK early on in his career - he sings accurately and lovingly about my hometown (Melbourne) and has an incredible ability to draw you into a scene and make you feel like you are right there with the song's protagonist - be it a kid in the backseat of a car seeing his parents' emotional turmoil (They Thought I was Asleep), an imprisoned man missing his family and regretting his actions (How to Make Gravy) or a father explaining to his children the details of his romance with their mother (When I First Met Your Ma).


PK's songs are simple and straight to the point but you should not underestimate the songwriting skill behind them. I think there are a number of people who seriously underrate PK, but I think the people who really listen and know music (yes I am being a condescending music snob!) know that PK is the real deal and he is essentially the Johnny Cash of Australian music.


The night opened up with Aussie singer Kate Miller-Heidke. She was accompanied by her mate on guitar and her first couple of tunes are relatively standard fare dealing with various forms of regret - not being born in time for the 60s and being unnecessarily mean to a loner kid at school. As somewhat of a surprise, high theatrics then ensue over the course of the next few songs with Kate launching into vocal operatic highs and calls for the subject of her love and desire to touch her 'front bottom' and 'sausage purse'. It certainly sorts out who in the audience is paying attention and it's clear that Kate adheres to the ethos that you can't take yourself too seriously. Her theramin-like squeals and jaunty nature remind me strongly of Widow Jones from Machine Gun Fellatio - it's certainly entertaining.



PK is on shortly thereafter and following the first two songs - an acapella version of Meet Me in the Middle of the Air and One Day - he is joined by his son Dan to provide support on acoustic/electric guitar and ukelele. There is certainly a need for some support on some of the songs and the family connection creates a relaxed feel to the proceedings. PK advises us that he's done his back in and is confined to his seat but he'll push on and we head straight into four classic PK songs - Midnight Rain, Before Too Long, Stolen Apple and From St Kilda to Kings Cross.



Before Too Long is probably PK's best known song and it's nice to hear it early on - the most entertaining part is when Dan gets caught up in his pedal before the guitar solo which earns him a smirk and visual payout from his Dad.


From St Kilda to Kings Cross is introduced by PK by way of a small history lesson about the origin of St Kilda's name - it was in fact an archipelago in the Scottish Hebrides and served as the name of a schooner which sailed into Port Melbourne in the 1840s and moored in the foreshore which became known by the boat's name. So not only do we get a number of choice tunes, but you also get to learn something!


I spent some time in St Kilda in my recent trip back to Australia over Christmas so the area was fresh in my mind and it wasn't the first time that night that PK managed to push my 'warm & fuzzy' button.


For the Ages was a new song that PK was trying out - the most memorable line being :


'You went to the ball dressed in St Vincent De Paul'


- ahhh nothing like a Vinnies reference!


PK introduced Hard Love as a song written for sister singing team Vika and Linda Bull (best known for their supporting vocals for Joe Camilleri and the Black Sorrows) for whom PK has written many songs and produced a number of albums.


One of my all time favourite PK songs comes a few tunes later - Careless - a catchy riff with great lyrics which are hard to go past:

"How many cabs in New York City, how many angels on a pin?
How many notes in a saxophone, how many tears in a bottle of gin?
How many times did you call my name, knock at the door but you couldn't get in?"


The uke is then brought out for Dan to play in the Foggy Fields of France - it's such a goddamn happy instrument it could make even the saddest song sound chirpy.

An ode to the Carter Family (and in particular Maybelle Carter) is next - Song of the Old Rake - all it needs is a few more family members on stage and we'd have ourselves a Grand Ol Opry of our own.

They Thought I was Asleep is one of the greatest narrative tunes you will hear - I defy anyone to feel as though they are not the kid in the backseat of the car late at night hearing part of a conversation between parents and seeing shared tears which he shouldn't. It's some of PK's best work.

A brief interlude comprising a short break for PK and a starring role for Dan comes upon us. Dan regales us with an original song of his own which I will call 'Bindi Irwin's Underwater Apocalypse Jam' - there is crowd participation sought in the repeated chorus of:

"Oooh weee, oooh weee Bindi and me, Bindi and me
Oooh weee, oooh weee apocalypse jam under the sea"

I personally laughed out loud at Dan's description of Bindi being "fucked up on jellyfish tea" - it seems to fit into the Australian rule that you are allowed to be harsh as long as it's funny.



PK is then back from his break to close out the main set with a few more classics and a newie - 

* When I First Met Your Ma is another PK narrative classic. It's reminiscent of an old Irish folk song but with a completely Australian feel;

* Cold as Canada is an apt new song to introduce tonight - it's freakin freezing in London and the itty bitty heaters in the Union Chapel have done little to coax me out of my down jacket;

* God Told Me To describes the unholy in a few brief lines:

"My mission is most righteous, my cause is true and just
The wicked need chastisement, you know it's either them or us"

* To Her Door is met with delight by the crowd and we are swaying in the pews as the subject makes his way 'in a Silvertop' to her door.

* How to Make Gravy is what everyone has been waiting for. It's funny how some simple directions about dealing with a task at Christmas that cannot be performed due to extenuating circumstances (ie the maker being in jail) can draw you into a man's very personal world of regret. It is PK's moniker and makes a cracking tea towel as well (see below).

* Young Lovers is part of a dedication - "For those about to love we salute you"




The encore is short and sweet with three more classics to soak up. Every Fucking City is THE classic Aussie backpacker tale of woe - how else could you get away with:

"And on the Reeperbahn I paid a woman far too much
To kick me out before I'd even reached my goal"

Deeper Water is PK's 'When I Grow Up to Be a Man' and asks the question that everyone asks themselves everyday - 'Am I out of my depth?'.

I am most delighted at the last song which I thought I was going to miss out on - Leaps and Bounds - I swear the opening lines referencing the MCG and the clock on the silo almost make me want to cry. As with everything it is the little things that count and the small details can bring back a flood of memories and that's what PK does best.

I am reminded tonight what a wealth of talent Australia has in terms of songwriters and he may not be as well-known as Johnny Cash or Bruce Springsteen but I think PK's songs could stand up against anything they have to offer.

On Ya Paul!


Setlist

Meet Me in the Middle of Air
One Day
Midnight Rain
Before Too Long
Stolen Apples
From St Kilda to Kings Cross
For the Ages
Hard Love
Dumb Things
Careless
Foggy Fields of France
Song of the Old Rake
They Thought I Was Asleep
Bindi Irwin Underwater Apocalypse (Dan Kelly)
When I First Met Your Ma
Cold As Canada
God Told Me To
To Her Door
How to Make Gravy
Young Lovers

Encore

Every Fucking City
Deeper Water
Leaps and Bounds



No comments:

Post a Comment