Tuesday 3 April 2012

Kylie Minogue - Anti-Tour - Hammersmith Apollo - 3 April 2012

Even before I get to this show I am impressed. The concept is genius - Kylie, no outfit changes, live band, no dancers and only b-sides, demos and rarities - this is the Anti-Tour!


Holy shit if only I could get my other favourite artists to do this!


I've never actually heard of an artist as big as Kylie undertaking something like this. Name me another artist who has sold 68 million records and successfully sold a b-sides, demos are rarities only show internationally - I freakin love it! And so do the 5000 other people at the Hammersmith Apollo tonight.


The vibe is good and the DJ who is warming us up certainly knows which buttons to push - there are some great mash ups with Kylie hits (which we are not going to hear tonight) and by the time our Kylie comes onstage around 8.25pm we are more than ready.


The main set starts off with Magnetic Electric - a bonus track from X and already everyone is singing along - behold the Kylie faithful!






Kylie then bursts into Made in Heaven (vintage 1988) straight after the opening track opening up our Stock Aitken and Waterman (SAW) account for the night. Kylie addresses the crowd soon after reminding them of the purpose of the evening and thereby adjusting expectations - there will be no "La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La" tonight. The crowd do not care and eagerly await the next setlist surprise.


The upbeat Cherry Bomb and B.P.M are next. The band sound good - drums, bass, guitar, keyboards/synth and three backing singers. It really is stripped down and back to basics stuff - it makes a pretty big change from the Aphrodite extravaganza I saw at the O2 last year (complete with Kylie mounting a male angel and riding him through the air!). It's different and intimate and has pretty much sorted the men from the boys in terms of Kylie fans.


There are more singalongs for I'm Over Dreaming (Over You) and Always Find the Time and a song later I am rewarded with one of my favourite Kylie rarities - Tightrope. Woo hoo now all I need is for her to pull out Turn It Into love and my Kylie set list dream will be fulfilled! (I am unfortunately denied all but an acapella chorus of this later on!).






A few songs later we hit an Impossible Princess double-shot - Drunk and Say Hey. That album is my second favourite Kylie album (Fever just can't be beaten!) and then she brings it right down with Bittersweet Goodbye which is an ode to a lost friend. It somewhat sucks the 'up' vibe from the proceedings but she is well aware that is it a bit of downer and immediately heads straight into Disco Down to compensate.


We then tread back into a bit of SAW territory with It's No Secret and Got To Be Certain and Kylie gives a shout out to Pete Waterman who is in the crowd tonight. It's so much fun being back in the 80s with Kylie. Hers was the first concert I ever went to - 1989 at the Melbourne Tennis Centre - and I am pretty sure both those songs were on the set list that night!


The most hilarious part of heading way back into the 80s is that good ol Kyles needs the assistance of lyric sheets for a couple of tracks. This does not apply to the audience who assist her effortlessly - we are so KMHC (Kylie Minogue Hard Core)!!


We are then into encore time and we have a cover (Tears On My Pillow) and then a couple of oldies ending with Enjoy Yourself (the title track from the album of the same name).






This has been a brilliant night and well worth the relatively hefty price tag (£70) - I doubt that we are going to ever see such a performance from Kylie again and I am just glad to have be inside the building for it.


Set list:
Magnetic Electric
Made in Heaven
Cherry Bomb
BPM
Mighty Rivers
I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
Always Find the Time
You're the One
Tightrope
Paper Dolls
Stars
Drunk
Say Hey
Too Much
Bittersweet Goodbye
Disco Down
I Don't Need Anyone
Give Me Just a Little More Time
It's No Secret
Got to Be Certain
Things Can Only Get Better


Encore:
Tears on My Pillow
One Boy Girl
Enjoy Yourself


More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59794835@N00/sets/72157629370540468/

No comments:

Post a Comment